Thursday, September 17, 2009

characters

I’m a bit of a writing book advice junkie. I remember once reading this advice: try to get to know your characters by letting them write each other letters or emails. I think it’s a good way to get to know characters or to get to know how characters feel about a certain situation or scene in your novel.

For example, say I have two characters, Jesse and Lauren, who are attracted to one another. They kissed the night before. I might try to figure out attitudes by having them send each other a few emails.

To Jesse,
I think we need to get together and talk about what happened last night, but I should tell you ahead of time that I’m not ready for a relationship. I can’t be with you. I like you a lot. I do. But I can’t get involved with anyone right now. Lauren

To Lauren,
It was just a kiss. I didn’t say anything about a relationship. I enjoyed the kiss and all but it was just a kiss. Jesse

To Jesse,
What do you mean just a kiss? What’s that supposed to mean? Are you saying you just go around kissing girls and never mean anything by it? I didn’t take you for that kind of guy. I’m glad I found this out about you now. I really am. Lauren

To Lauren,
But you said you didn’t want a relationship. You said, “I can’t be with you.” We weren’t exactly with each other anyway. I’m just saying. It was a kiss. It was a nice kiss but just a kiss. I agree with you about the relationship. Jesse

To Jesse,
Just don’t pretend like you’re agreeing with me. This is why boys drive me crazy. They come up with boy logic. A kiss is hardly ever just a kiss. Anyone with a heart would know that. A kiss is a promise. It can be a promise anyway. That kiss of ours certainly was. Lauren

To Lauren
I don’t understand. Jesse

To Jesse,
So now you’re breaking up with me? Lauren

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Very funny, yet very true. Made me giggle!

Brian Yansky said...

Thanks for stopping by, blueeyedadri.